Tree trimming and tree pruning is an absolute must to create a strong structure and a desirable shape for any tree.
It is best to begin a tree pruning routine on a tree when it is young. This type of preventative pruning ensures the tree will require less corrective pruning as it matures.
There are specific measures to be taken when trimming or pruning any tree.
- Do not leave stubs, always cut to a bud, lateral branch, or main trunk.
- For larger limbs which are more than two inches in diameter use a three-cut method.
- Make a cut outside the raised branch collar when pruning back to a main stem or another branch. Do not make a flush cut.
- Never take off more than 25% of the living crown of a tree during one pruning session. Removal of more than 25% should be completed over successive years.
- Structural pruning is best done in the dormant season for the tree when leaves are down from deciduous trees and you can see and evaluate the tree’s structure.
- Depending on the type of tree you are pruning it can be most beneficial to prune before or after it's flowering season. If you are unsure of the best time for your tree please contact our knowledgable team of arborists.
If the process is overwhelming for you as a home or business owner, please contact us for your affordable tree trimming and tree pruning needs.